Vera's Tea Biscuits
Mix together the following:
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
In a large measuring cup, mix the following:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- Pour large measuring cup of ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Mix with a fork until blended evenly.
- Drop large ball onto a flour surface.
- Gently pat with the palm of your hand.
- Cut with tea biscuit cutter.
- Spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place tea biscuits on a cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes @ 425 F.
Sometimes Vera adds extras such as...
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- 1/2 cup raisins
Vera’s Blueberry Pie
Ingredients for pastry:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup Crisco™ all vegetable shortening
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold water
Ingredients for pie filling:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons tapioca
- 4 cups fresh (or frozen) blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in water gently to flour mixture until smooth. Divide pastry into 2 even balls.
- Roll out first ball of pastry on lightly floured waxed paper.
- Line pie dish with one pie crust. (For further tips from Nana, please read the Blueberry Pie chapter of Barn Swallows The Second Adventure by Carolyn j Morris)
- Mix sugar and tapioca, and sprinkle over blueberries.
- Pour berry mixture into the crust.
- Cut remaining pastry into ½ inch wide strips and make lattice top. Crimp and flute edges.
- Bake pie on lower shelf of oven for about 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Vera’s Hearty Soup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 stalks celery - chopped
- 2 medium potatoes – diced
- ½ cup of pearl barley - rinsed
- 1 lb steak, cut into bite size cubes
- 2 carrots - diced
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 7 or 8 mushrooms – sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 8 cups beef stock
- Worcestershire sauce
- Italian seasoning
- Sauté onions and steak, until browned, in oil
- Add celery, mushrooms and carrots
- Season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste
- Continue to sauté for a couple of minutes
- Add Beef stock and bring to a boil
- Add potatoes and barley
- Cover and let simmer for 1 hour
- Add frozen peas and corn
- Add Worcestershire sauce to taste
- Continue to simmer for 15 minutes or until barley is cooked
Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 tsp. cocoa
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup butter
- Put above ingredients in a pan and bring to a boil
- Remove from heat and add: 1 cup coconut, a pinch of salt and 2 ½ to 3 cups rolled oats
- Drop by spoonfuls on cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
"You need to hold a rolling pin like it is an extension of your arm," Nana spoke softly. "It took me a few tries to perfect my pastry; my mother made it look so easy."Excerpt from Barn Swallows